The UNESCO World Heritage Lavaux Vineyards are an impressive backdrop to the start of the Cyclotour du Léman. The snow capped mountains and pristine lake aren’t too bad either.
Cyclotour du Léman 2014
The Cyclotour du Léman is a cycling sportive event in Switzerland with a choice of three distances, including the full 180km cycle around Lake Geneva.
The Cyclotour du Léman takes cyclists on a beautiful route around Lake Geneva (Lac Léman locally) that winds through vineyards and apple orchards against a backdrop of a shimmering lake and towering mountains.
It must be amongst the most beautiful cycling events in the world.
The Jet d’Eau in the distance as riders approach Geneva in the Cyclotour du Léman.
Cyclotour du Léman Event Details
- Date: Sunday 18th May 2014
- Distances: 180km, 110km or 60km
- Cyclists: 2000+ cyclists take part annually
- Established since: 2014 will be the 11th edition of the Cyclotour du Léman
- Start: Lausanne, Switzerland (180km), Evian-les-Bains, France (110km) and Geneva, Switzerland (60km)
- Finish: Lausanne, Switzerland
- Nearest Airport: Geneva International Airport
- Accommodation: Brevet’s Cyclotour du Léman holiday includes lakeside accommodation near the start
Cyclotour du Léman Course Preview
Choose From Three Sportive Distances
The Cyclotour du Léman is great if you are looking for a group cycling holiday with cyclists of different levels of fitness and experience as there are three distances to choose from ranging from the 180km Tour du Lac to the 60km ride from Geneva to Lausanne through the La Côte wine region.
Lausanne to Lausanne – 180km Tour du Lac
The full 180km cycle around lake Geneva from Lausanne to Lausanne, known as the “Tour du Lac” locally, departs from the Pierre-de-Coubertin Stadium in Lausanne near to the lake front home of the International Olympic Committee.
At 180km the route is long enough to make it a great sportive challenge whilst at the same time the modest elevation profile means that Cyclotour du Léman is a perfect early season sportive if you are training for sportive such as La Marmotte or L’Etape du Tour.
Evian to Lausanne – 110km Cycling Through France and Switzerland
The 110km route from Evian-les-Bains in France, home of the eponymous mineral water, takes cyclists through both France and Switzerland and is a beautiful way to discover the region.
Most people start in Lausanne and catch the ferry across Lac Léman to Evian. After a stunning ferry ride across Lac Léman with views of Mont Blanc and the Portes de Soleil ski region cyclists arrive in Evian to set off on the Cyclotour du Léman.
Geneva to Lausanne – 60km ride along La Côte
For cyclists looking for a shorter sportive challenge the route from Geneva to Lausanne along La Côte features endless vineyards and apple orchards in this famous wine growing region of Switzerland.
After leaving the Vengeron beach in Geneva with its views of the famous Jet d’Eau water fountain, the route quickly leaves Geneva behind and follows the coastal road along the lake to Lausanne.
Cyclotour du Léman Entry Cost
Entry ranges between 70 Swiss Francs (CHF) and 88CHF and includes the following:
- Official race shirt
- One way boat transfer
- Water and food stations on the course
- medical and mechanical support
- Changing rooms, showers and massage
- Pasta Party in the the Pierre-de-Coubertin Stadium in Lausanne
Training for the Cyclotour du Léman
At 180km in length the Cyclotour du Léman requires a training plan that will build cycling endurance over a number of weeks. By following a sportive training plan and training consistently your body will adapt to the demands of endurance cycling. As an early season sportive such as the Cyclotour du Léman is perfect if you are targeting a sportive later in the season. Brevet’s Cycling Training Camp finishes with the Cyclotour du Léman.
Sportive Training Tips
- Make training dates with friends to help you stick to the plan
- Practice how you will eat and drink before race day during a weekend long ride
- Training with a club or a group of friends will help develop your group riding technique
Cyclotour du Léman Cycling Training Camp
If you would like to combine the Cyclotour du Léman with an early season Cycling Training Camp then check out Brevet’s Cyclotour du Léman holiday that includes guaranteed Cyclotour du Léman entry, 5 days riding, 4 nights full board accommodation and exclusive VIP hospitality in the race village.
Cyclotour du Léman Training Plan
Are you in training for the Cyclotour du Léman? Use our free 12 week Sportive Training Plan to get you in the best possible shape for the Cyclotour du Léman. Simply fill the form below and we’ll send you your free training plan:
Useful websites for the Cyclotour du Léman
You’ll find these websites useful if you’d like to take part in the Cyclotour du Léman sportive:
- Cyclotour du Leman official website: Cyclotour du Léman
- Route preview on YouTube: Cyclotour du Léman route preview
- Professionally supported sportive holiday: Brevet’s Cyclotour du Léman holiday
Still searching for a sportive? Then check out our sportive calendar for the best handpicked cycling events in Switzerland.