Etape Cymru 2014
The Etape Cymru is billed as the “UK’s Toughest Closed Road Sportive” and is set in stunning scenery in the Welsh Mountains. It’s position relatively late in the sportive calendar makes it a great target for those new to the sport of cycling as there is plenty of time to train for the challenge of a 100km+ sportive.
Etape Cymru Event Details
- Date: Sunday 14th September 2014
- Distance: 88 miles
- Climbing: 3,000m+ of climbing
- Start and Finish: Wrexham, Wales
- Accommodation: Stay in Wales has lots of options in North East Wales
- Charity Partner: Macmillan Cancer Support
Etape Cymru Course Preview
The route meanders through the Clwydian Range (an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) and will include a timed challenge up the Horseshoe Pass.
Etape Cymru Course Profile
The 88 mile route will feature around 3,000m+ of climbing making it a tough challenge for all levels of rider.
Training for the Etape Cymru
Training for a challenging sportive like the Etape Cymru requires a consistent training effort that builds to a peak a few weeks before the event.
With a hilly profile such as that featured on the Etape Cymru it is essential that your cycling training schedule includes specific training sessions on hill climbing. To save energy for a long day in the saddle practice cycling with a high cadence in a low gear on the hill climbs.
Keep your cycling fitness up during winter with these free turbo training videos.
Sportive Training Tips
- Follow an achievable sportive training plan; consistent training is the key to finishing a sportive
- Check out these 5 training tips for sportives
- A sportive training holiday in the Alps will help you practice climbing cadence
Etape Cymru Entry
Etape Cymru online registration opens in November and often sells out.
Too late already? Check out the Best Sportives in Europe and find a challenge that motivates you!
Etape Cymru Sportive Training Camps
Etape Cymru Sportive Training Plan
Are you in training for Etape Cymru? Use our free 12 week Sportive Training Plan to get you in the best possible shape for the Etape Cymru. Simply fill the form below and we’ll send you your free training plan:
Useful Websites for Etape Cymru
- Official website: Etape Cymru
- Twitter: Follow @EtapeCymru and join the conversation with the hashtag #etapecymru
- Facebook: Meet fellow riders on the official Etape Cymru Facebook Page
Still searching for a sportive? Then check out our sportive calendar for the best handpicked cycling events in Europe.